This week’s recipe is from my 21 Day Metabolic Rehab program. I love this recipe for its detox benefits, and it’s also packed with nutrients!
This GLOW Bowl has protein and healthy fats in the lentils, avocado, and olive oil; and the cilantro, garlic, and asparagus all help to support detoxification pathways in the body.
Beets also pack a real nutritional punch. Beets may help lower blood pressure. This is most likely due to the high content of dietary nitrates in beets and beet greens.
Dietary nitrates are converted to nitric oxide in the body, which helps to open blood vessels, increase blood flow to the brain, and reduces blood pressure and inflammation.
Beets also help with liver detoxification. In Phase 2 of liver detoxification, toxins are broken down and bound to other molecules so they can be removed as waste from your body.
As you can imagine, this is vitally important for overall health. The high Betalin pigments found in beets support Phase 2 detoxification.
Traditionally, beets have been used for liver detox, and to help purify the blood.
Additionally, beets have major anti-cancer properties.
Betacyanin, the pigment that gives beets their rich, dark color, is a powerful cancer-fighting agent.
Their high fiber content, along with Betacyanin, is probably responsible for the protective role of beets in colon cancer.
In those with stomach cancer, beet juice has been shown to inhibit nitrosamine production, which causes cell mutations.
Beet juice is being studied for use in the treatment of pancreatic, breast, and prostate cancers.
They can also help fight inflammation.
Beets are a good source of Betaine, which is a nutrient that helps protect cells, proteins, and enzymes from environmental stress.
It’s also known to help fight inflammation, protect internal organs, improve vascular risk factors, enhance performance, and likely help prevent numerous chronic diseases.
They are high in fiber. Due to their high fiber content, beets have been shown to help improve digestive function and lower cholesterol levels.
Beet fiber has also been shown to increase antioxidant enzymes, meaning it packs a punch when it comes to fighting inflammation and free radicals in the body.
This GLOW Bowl is truly a powerhouse of nutrition.
- 1 cup Black Lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups Water or Bone Broth
- 4 medium Beets, roasted (see notes)
- 1 bunch Asparagus, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large Avocado
- ½ cup Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2 teaspoons Lime Juice (1 lime)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Water or Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Combine the lentils and water or broth in a pot over medium-high heat and cook until water is absorbed and lentils are tender – about 15 minutes.
- Wash and peel the beets. Wrap in foil and roast for 45 minutes until tender.
- Brush the asparagus with olive oil and add to the baking sheet with the beets for the last 10 minutes of cook time.
- In a blender, combine the avocado, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper and blend. Add water slowly until you have a sauce consistency.
- Divide the lentils into 2 bowls, top with chopped asparagus, beets, and drizzle with avocado sauce.
Note: All of this can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for 4 days.
I recommend making extra of everything to save time and energy. You could add chicken, beef, or pork to this bowl for added protein. Top with pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds for crunch and a serving of healthy fats.