Nothing says fall vibes more than delicious (and super nutritious) Butternut Squash. In under 25 minutes, I present to you the perfect dish for busy evenings when you crave something hearty, yummy, and good for your health & wellbeing. These simple ingredients are easy for tailoring too – with gluten free pasta and plant-based cream alternatives as easily accessible options!
This recipe not only satisfies not only your taste buds but also delivers balance to fluctuating hormone levels and offers healthy nourishment on the whole. Food is the best medicine!
Butternut Squash is an incredible source of vitamins and minerals that can help alleviate some of the common discomforts of menopause. Its rich Vitamin A content can promote healthy skin and improve your immune system, while Vitamin C aids in reducing inflammation and supports your cardiovascular health.
And if that’s not enough, vibrant squash is packed with antioxidants, which can help protect your cells from oxidative stress. These antioxidants assist in reducing hot flashes, one of the peskiest of menopausal symptoms. The high fiber content of butternut squash also supports digestive health.
Gluten-Free Grains like brown rice pasta help stabilize blood sugar, ease digestive discomfort, and provide essential nutrients, including B vitamins like folate. They support heart health and bone strength, which is vital for post-menopausal women. Additionally, some whole grains contain phytoestrogens that mimic estrogen, potentially reducing the severity of hot flashes and mood swings. They also help keep you satiated longer which helps maintain a healthy weight!
Green Peas and Organic Chicken breast are a protein packed super foods. As muscle mass tends to decrease with age, getting adequate protein is crucial. In addition, the organic chicken provides a great source of minerals like zinc, iron and choline which can aid in mood regulation
Spices are more than just flavor punches. This recipe also includes the zing of garlic and the kick of chili flakes, both of which have hormone-balancing properties. Garlic is known for its anti-inflammatory effects, helping to manage inflammation often linked to hormonal fluctuations. Chili flakes, on the other hand, stimulate the release of endorphins, which can help counter mood swings experienced during menopause.
Dairy or Dairy-Free. The creamy aspect of this recipe is flexible to cater to your dietary preferences. If you’re a dairy enthusiast, half & half can be your choice. For those opting for a dairy-free lifestyle, don’t worry! You can substitute with plant-based milk or cream, like almond milk, coconut milk, or cashew cream. These dairy alternatives can help support hormonal balance as dairy consumption may sometimes exacerbate hormone-related symptoms.
Who doesn’t love a healthy, naturally anti aging fall recipe (all those amazing antioxidants keeps you young) that’s delicious, easy to prepare and screams fall comfort food?? Bon appetit!
- 1 cup Butternut Squash (peeled, cubed)
- 8-12 ounces of Organic Free Range Boneless, Skineless Chicken Breast or Thighs
- 2 Garlic (clove)
- 2 tsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Spaghetti
- 1/3 cup Cream, Half & Half (or try a plant-based milk or cream for a non-dairy option!!)
- 2/3 cup Frozen Peas (thawed)
- 1/3 cup Water (reserved from cooking pasta)
- 1/2 Lemon (medium, juiced)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Toss the butternut squash and garlic with the oil and place bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until fork-tender. At the same time, season chicken breast or thighs with salt and pepper and your favorite spices and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet alongside the squash. Bake until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Once done, drain reserving some of the pasta water.
- One done, remove chicken from oven and set aside to cool. Once cools cut into bite sized cubes.
- In a blender, add butternut squash, garlic, and cream. Blend until smooth, venting as needed. Pour the sauce into a pan. Add in the pasta, peas, and reserved pasta water. Toss to combine and simmer for three to four minutes or until the sauce is thick and creamy. Add the cubed chicken and toss again.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Divide the pasta between plates. Top with chili flakes and enjoy!