Anytime I feel like I need a little dietary reset, I pull out this Chicken Detox Soup recipe. It is great after holidays, vacations or long seasons of entertaining guests and going out to eat – like we have been doing lately.
Now I am always pretty careful and make smart choices when I go out, but it is nearly impossible to avoid getting things you didn’t ask for in your food – industrial seed oils, gluten, and all the things that make my gut unhappy.
Anyhow, this soup is a great reset, I make a big pot and eat from it for a few days – breakfast, lunch and dinner. Yes, I am kind of weird like that, but it works for me
Chicken Detox Soup is low fat, low carb, paleo, gluten-free, and it works like a charm when using the soup as a cleanse!
It’s a lean, healthy chicken and vegetable soup with several detoxifying ingredients to help flush toxins from your body and boost your metabolism.
This soup is meant to be eaten for several days in a row to get your system back on track.
To make this Southwest Chicken Detox Soup, I used canned Green Chiles to give the broth a smoky undertone, then loaded it with:
Skinless chicken breasts for lean protein
Cabbage, broccoli, avocado, garlic, and turmeric… All detoxifying ingredients that help your body release toxins
Ground cumin and crushed red pepper for additional southwest essence
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cans Chopped Green Chiles (4.5-ounce cans)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of “fire roasted” crushed tomatoes
- 4-6 cups chicken bone broth (depending on how soupy you like it)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups sliced carrots (or shredded)
- 4 cups chopped shredded cabbage
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (can also use frozen brocolli
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper
How To Make Detox Soup
- Set a large 6-8 quart pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, chopped onions, and garlic. Sauté for 5-6 minutes to soften. Then add whole raw chicken breasts, Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, all the spices, carrots, and 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 20+ minutes, until the chicken breasts are cooked through. Then remove the chicken with tongs and set them on a cutting board to cool.
- Add the chopped cabbage and broccoli to the pot. Continue to simmer to soften the broccoli. Meanwhile, shred the chicken breasts with two forks, and stir them back into the soup. Once the broccoli is tender, taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm with a generous amount of diced avocado on top!
- If the soup base boils down too much, add 2-3 cups of water or additional broth. Then taste for seasoning. Feel free to add additional herbs. I like to add some crushed red pepper, oregano, and paprika depending on my mood!
You can store this recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This detox soup is great for anyone who wants to
- Purge water retention
- Get a little metabolic boost
- Banish bloat
- Have more energy
- And better sleep!
Sounds too good to be true? Don’t worry, I always back up my claims with some good old naturopathic education! I believe that if you know why you are eating something, it will help you include that ingredient more into your life. Basically, the more you know, the more you glow!!
So, let’s dive into all the ingredients in this delicious detox soup and how they will help you with detoxification:
Chicken Breasts: These lean proteins aid in liver detoxification. Proteins are necessary for transporting toxins through the body for elimination.
Onion and Garlic: These are part of the allium family of vegetables, which are rich in sulfur-containing compounds responsible for their odor. These compounds support the body’s detoxification process and aid in removing heavy metals from the body.
Olive Oil: Healthy fats like those in olive oil are essential for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, a critical part of the detox process.
Green Chiles: Capsaicin, the compound that gives chiles their heat, can speed up metabolism and help the body detox by promoting sweating and increasing the digestive system’s efficiency.
Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that supports liver function and can help prevent the buildup of harmful substances in the body.
Chicken Bone Broth: It’s rich in minerals like calcium and magnesium, which are vital for the body’s detoxification processes. The gelatin in the broth helps to heal the lining of the gut, supporting better digestion and absorption of nutrients.
Cumin, Crushed Red Pepper, and Turmeric: These spices are not just for flavor! They’re also powerful anti-inflammatories and antioxidants. Turmeric contains curcumin, which helps boost the liver’s detoxification process.
Carrots: These are high in fiber, which aids digestion and helps the body eliminate waste. They’re also rich in vitamin A and other antioxidants, which support the immune system and help the body resist toxic intruders.
Cabbage: Another high-fiber food that aids in digestion and elimination of toxins. It also contains sulfur compounds that help the liver break down toxins.
Broccoli: This cruciferous vegetable contains sulforaphane, a potent antioxidant. It also contains compounds that help the liver produce enzymes to aid in the removal of toxins.
Remember, a healthy diet is only one part of a detoxification process. Always remember to stay well-hydrated, get plenty of sleep, and engage in regular exercise to support your body’s natural detoxifying processes
YOU’LL BE AMAZED AT HOW GOOD YOU FEEL AFTER EATING SOUTHWEST CHICKEN DETOX SOUP FOR SEVERAL DAYS!