While Halloween may be over, the fun doesn’t have to end—especially when it comes to those leftover pumpkins! Instead of tossing them aside, make the most of your pumpkin seeds with a simple and nutritious snack that’s both easy and eco-friendly. Plus, it’s great for hormone health! It’s time to transform those seeds into a tasty treat right in your kitchen.
Let’s dive in and explore why pumpkin seeds, often overlooked, are the all-around healthy snack for both body and soul:
Pumpkin seeds are a nutritional goldmine, offering essential vitamins and minerals like magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which support overall health. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of magnesium, a mineral crucial for various bodily functions. Magnesium plays a pivotal role in muscle and nerve function, making it essential for your daily activities. These seeds are also packed with zinc, another vital mineral. Zinc is known for its immune-boosting properties and wound-healing abilities. Furthermore, zinc supports hormonal regulation and reproductive health in women, making it an excellent choice for maintaining hormonal balance.
Not only that, but the healthy fats the seeds provide, along with the natural fiber content, contribute to the feeling of fullness and satisfaction, preventing you from reaching for unhealthy snacks. Lastly, the healthy fats found in pumpkin seeds boost your heart health.
Opting for homemade roasted pumpkin seeds is not only healthy but also environmentally friendly. It reduces waste by repurposing seeds that might have been discarded and eliminates unnecessary packaging and preservatives found in store-bought snacks. It can also be a fun and educational family activity, teaching children the value of real food.
My favorite part is exploring my spice collection and mixing and matching seasonings! Whether you prefer a spicy kick with chili powder, an earthy flavor with curry powder or cumin, or a hint of sweetness with cinnamon and maple syrup, the possibilities are endless. So, grab those pumpkins and let’s go!
- Fresh pumpkin seeds
- Sea salt
- Your favorite spices (like turmeric, cumin, garlic salt, or curry powder)
- Preheat Your Oven: Start by preheating your oven to 350°F.
- Harvest the Seeds: Begin by extracting the seeds from your pumpkin. This is a fantastic way to make the most out of your pumpkin, minimizing food waste.
- Rinse and Strain: Place the freshly harvested pumpkin seeds in a colander. Give them a good rinse, removing any excess pulp. This step helps ensure that your seeds come out clean and ready for roasting.
- Dry the Seeds: Pat your seeds dry using paper towels, making sure they’re as dry as possible. This helps achieve that coveted crispy texture.
- Season to Perfection: Transfer your dried pumpkin seeds to a bowl. Now, here’s where the fun begins. Toss them with sea salt and your choice of spices. You can get creative with this step and tailor the flavors to your liking.
- Ready for Roasting: Spread your seasoned pumpkin seeds onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure they’re in a single layer to allow for even roasting.
- Golden and Crispy: Pop your pumpkin seeds into the preheated oven and bake for 10-25 minutes. Keep an eye on them, as roasting times can vary. You’ll know they’re ready when they turn a beautiful golden brown and become irresistibly crispy.
- Cool and Store: Once they’re done roasting, allow your pumpkin seeds to cool. Then, store them in a mason jar or a glass container.